Monday, December 7, 2009

What better time of year to start?

Many people think that the New Year is the best time to start new things. That might be so.. unless your a photographer during the holiday season... then starting something that DOESN'T involve clicking a shutter is the only way to stay sane.

This is my first holiday season in my new studio. I love it. I really do. Except for the crazy insane schedule I've set for myself. YES for myself. Its so hard to say no.. I mean other photographers will just say "Nope I'm booked bite me." I just cant' do that. I care too much. Damn.. I'm a sucker for a sob story every time. Thats why I'm photographing every day instead of three days a week and editing the rest liked planned.

You see I'm a maternity and newborn photographer. Never heard of maternity photography? Yeah odds are your over the age of 30. Its a generation thing, kinda like tattoos. Don't worry you'll catch on. Anyway as this kind of photographer my work is year round. Thank god. So I have my usual newborn and maternity clients who are sent my way by the most wonderful 4D ultrasound place in the universe.

But during the holidays I also have everyone wanting family images for their Christmas cards. Which is fine... problem is that my kind of photography leans heavily on editing. Moms and babies need to look as perfect as possible and it takes around 4 weeks to pull that all together for a client. Um..yeah that doesn't really work for people wanting Christmas card images..

In other businesses the holiday season is a time for swapping gifts and holiday parties. Not photographers. We love the holidays becuase we actually make money, and NO actually we really arn't rich. My car is 10 years old for heavens sake. BUT the holidays are very much like Halloween for candy makers. Its great, but there is a point where your just so ready for the sugar rush to end.

And have I mentioned I don't usually shoot families with 6 screaming kids shoved into scratchy dresses and over tight ties while their crabby parents scream at them? Um not really my thing. And dead honest I DO NOT usually have problems with former clients who come back for their family images. I know them, they know me, and its usually relaxed and fun. My studio is very laid back. Its relaxing and kids are encouraged to play with toys, get snacks, and come and go as they are comfortable into shots. My former clients know this and know not to the be stressed when their toddler wonders off the background to get a truck. They know I will just take some couple images, or if all else fails follow the little guy.

Its the random person who sees my information, comes in for the first time and wants "oh just a simple family session." that turns into a damn nightmare.

As a photographer you always want your clients to be happy... thats what I go for anyway... and probably why after the first of the year your gonna have to have a golden ticket, or at least be a former client to get family pictures in my studio. LOL

My hubby would say that when you photograph hundreds of people and only have a total of three even close to unhappy your doing great. After all in a forest of trees there are gonna be a few nuts. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment